Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Back to the Basics



Today I had a styling epiphany.

So, this summer I decided to give in and buy an expensive non-clipping hair styling wand as a replacement to my 1” classic curling iron (that costs $10 at Target, honest).  I have been doing the soft wave styling on my already naturally wavy (and sometimes unpredictable) hair for quite some time and figured making the upgrade to the wand would be the perfect solution. 

Boy was I misunderstood!  I will tell you, I have been using this expensive styling wand for the last 6 months and something was just never right with it! The curls often seemed kinky and unpolished but I continued to use the wand despite my disappointment with the results. To my amazement, I borrowed a friend’s basic 1” curling iron to put a few extra curls in my hair before going out and I was blown away by how subtly sweet the curls turned out.  I learned my lesson.  Expensive and trendy beauty supplies don’t always get the job done!  I have packed away my styling wand for another day.  It’s back to the basics for this girl!

What are your essential hair styling tools?

4 comments:

  1. An essential hair styling tool for me is 1 to 1.5 inch hot rollers. It's a little old school, but it's just SO easy. If my hair is dirty or if I just don't have a lot of time, I throw those bad boys in and in 15. Minutes my hair is styled. It's also great because instead of standing and doing my hair for 20 min, I can do my makeup, get dressed, walk the dog (if I'm feeling brave), or check my email while hair is being done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney--

    Thanks for the feedback! Now I know the secret to your perfectly coiffed hair (excellent!). I have not given hot curlers much thought or appreciation over the years but I can see their many time-saving benefits, among other things. Do you roll your hair in towards your face or out or a combination of both when you set your rollers? I need more direction! Also, what brand do you use? Do they require clips? Are they heavy? This is all very important information to me! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Ok, so starting with the crown... The bangs, go straight up and are rolled back away from the face. Take the next chunk behind it and roll it away from the face. Keep the crown peices on TOP of your head. Then, the rest of the peices I roll towards my face. If I'm feeling frisky, I will alternate towards and away. However, when you roll it away it does look BIGGER for some reason. God knows I like big hair but it's real big. When you pull it all out, part your bangs the way you normally would and they will do a nice SWOOP. Do not brush your curls out, shake them out. I sprits with hair spray after, so that the curls are soft and not crispy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney--

    Thank you for the detailed and entertaining tutorial! I especially like your suggestion of shaking the curls out instead of brushing them. That is something I struggle with and I will definitely give it a-whirl!! I always adore a little hairspray. It just like brushing your teeth in the morning; a good spritz of hairspray is absolutely essential.

    Thank you for commenting! xo

    ReplyDelete

LATEST POSTS