Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Cosmetic Toss

LORAC, Unzipped; Sephora
Stila, Waterproof Eyeliner; Sephora
I had an epiphany early last week and realized my makeup bag needed a makeover, stat.  My eyeliner and eye shadow palette were looking a little . . . sad.  A sad appearance led me to believe that my makeup might be a potential bacterial hazard.  Yikes!  Let’s get real, bacteria happens and it is critical that you keep your makeup bag clear of any potential “bacteria-parties”. 

After a little research I found there are quite a few inconsistencies as to how frequently you should toss makeup to ensure your makeup bag stays healthy; but I think the following article provides a decent suggestion as to how frequently you should discard opened cosmetics:

Expiration dates: 
Beginning from the time you first open these products

Powders and shadows // 2 years
Cream shadows // 12 to 18 months
Foundation // 1 year
Lipstick & lipliner // 1 year
Mascara & eyeliners // 3 months
Makeup brushes // Clean weekly using a mild detergent
Makeup sponges // Replace weekly, or when sponge becomes soiled

Ha!  I am impressed to say that I actually “toss” out makeup more frequently then suggested.  Most of my makeup ends up running out before the expiration date comes due but it is important to toss out expired makeup when the time comes due.  It is even more important if you occasionally share makeup with friends and/or family.  Needless to say, always err on the side of caution.  If there is an odor, toss.  If you start breaking out, toss.  If the pigment in the makeup starts to discolor or deteriorate, toss.  Pretty simple stuff.

So, my makeup bag ended up being “clean” but I still treated myself to a new eye shadow pallet from LORAC and some new waterproof eyeliner from Stila.  I have been wearing less and less eye makeup recently but the LORAC palette comes with both 10 beautiful neutral-shade eye shadows and a bonus eye primer.  The two together are a match made in makeup heaven.  I am also really excited to try Stila’s waterproof liquid eyeliner (with a felt tip).  I have heard rave reviews of its mighty stay-power and ease of use. 

Moreover, don’t neglect the health of your precious makeup and if you ever need an excuse to buy more makeup; remind yourself of the potential health risks of ignoring the signs of spoiled cosmetics!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LATEST POSTS