Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sweet Potato Biscuits

Paula Dean's Sweet Potato Biscuits
I don't know if it is just the change of season but I am feeling the impulse to bake... a lot!  I'm feeling inspired by all of the amazing holiday recipes and I recently ran across a sweet potato biscuit recipe that sparked my interest.  Needless to say, I ended up making the sweet potato biscuits and they tasted phenomenal and were no chore to make. It is helpful if you have mashed sweet potatoes prepared prior to baking this recipe-- great for using left-overs! Just a few ingredients and a few dirtied dishes later make for a worthwhile baking experience!

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 heaping tablespoons sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) softened butter
  • 2 to 4 tablespoons milk (depending on the moisture of the potatoes)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate, large bowl, mix the sweet potatoes and butter. Add the flour mixture to the potato mixture and mix to make a soft dough. Then add milk a tablespoon at a time to mixture and continue to cut in. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and toss lightly until the outside of the dough looks smooth. Roll the dough out to 1/2-inch thick and cut with a biscuit cutter. Place the biscuits on a greased pan and coat tops with melted butter. Bake for about 15 minutes. (Watch your oven: If the biscuits are browning too fast, lower the temperature.)

Subsitutions & changes to the recipe:  I did not use a biscuit cutter to form my biscuits.  I just rolled my hands in flour, formed a ball of dough in between my hands, placed the biscuit on a non-greased pan and flattened the top out a little.  I also didn't cook my biscuits for the full suggested cooking time of 15 mins.  Cooking in high altitude sometimes can be tricky but my biscuits came out SUPER moist.  Make sure you don't forget the drizzle of butter on top before you bake, it adds sweet texture and yummy flavor to the end product!  Forget about adding extra butter for serving--the biscuits are super rich on their own.  Dollop a bit of honey on top--presto!

Yummo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LATEST POSTS